Support post-election voter empowerment with tax-deductible donations.
Looking for a year-end tax deduction for your political giving? Are you confused about which donations are both meaningful and tax-deductible? Here are the rules plus some of our recommendations. Tax status information about organizations can be found on their websites.
- Donations to groups organized as 501(c)(3) charities generally are tax-deductible. The charity’s activities must be nonpartisan and perform public-service activities, e.g. voter registration and education.
- Donations to groups organized as 501(c)(4) charities that seek to influence legislation, are generally not tax-deductible. Political action committees (PACS) fall into this same category.
- Larger charities may have both tax-deductible and non-tax-deductible arms that perform different activities. For example, Planned Parenthood Federation of America is a 501(c)(3) charity that supports reproductive health through education and health services. Donations to PPFA are fully tax-deductible. The affiliated Planned Parenthood Action Fund is a 501(c)(4) charity that works with legislators and political candidates to advocate for reproductive rights. Donations to the Action Fund are not tax-deductible.
Where to Donate: As a starting place, you can scroll through Turn Purple 2 Blue’s curated Recommended Groups. Or if you’re looking to make one or two donations that cover more ground, Force Multiplier is a useful resource (“We do the research so you don’t have to”). Here are two of their fully tax-deductible funds that target key swing states and demographics, plus the excellent 501(c)(3) grassroots organizations they support. See full descriptions:
- Democracy in Action educates, registers, and increases turnout among voters. Groups supported: Arizona Center for Empowerment (ACE), You Can Vote (NC under 40’s), New GA Project, Make the Road PA, Asian Community Development Council (NV).
- Heartland Fund registers and mobilizes rural and small town voters. Groups supported: Galvanize (PA, GA, NC, WI), Vote Vets, Rural Arizona Engagement (RAZE), Wisconsin Farmers Union, 603 Forward (NH under 40’s), Down Home NC.
Whatever option(s) you choose, your donation(s) will make a difference in 2023-24!